Love Language For Our Kids?
Knowing your child’s language of love makes parenting a little easier. Why? Well, if your child is feeling off or having a hard time with something, you will have specific behaviors that will help them feel loved and will hopefully shift their mood. The trickier part is figuring out which of the 5 love languages your child prefers.
Offering further commentary on learning your child’s ‘love language’ is Clinical Psychologist, Health Service Psychologist, a Board Certified Music Therapist and Momprenuer, Dr. Bethany Cook author of What it’s Worth – a perspective on How to Thrive and Survive Parenting. She believes that children benefit from receiving love in each of the 5 forms, but they typically prefer and feel one a little more than the others. Cook’s tips on addressing each form below:
- Ways to show love through touch:
- Brush their hair
- Offer to cuddle
- Buy different bristle paint brushes and “paint” their arms, back, and legs.
- This could be done in a bath or just when watching TV.
- Gentle shoulder squeeze as you walk past.
- Holding hands as you walk.
- Sitting close enough to touch.
Words of Affirmation:
- Leave a note of encouragement for them in their lunch.
- Let them overhear you talking positively about them to someone (can even be a stuffed animal.)
- Say affirmations with them each day.
- Call or text them out of the blue with an inspirational quote.
Quality Time Together:
- Engage 100% in a preferred activity of theirs (playing cars, reading, walking).
- Set aside a chunk of time once a week to have “us time” and plan together during the week what you will do.
- Sometimes it’s just about sharing the same space and you can be present in their room doing some work (on the phone, cleaning, etc) while they play.
- Let your kid know you canceled your plans (once in a while) when conflicts arise to do their thing instead of yours.
The Secret To Employee Engagem...May 22nd, 2023
Pink’s Signature Spring ...May 17th, 2023
16 Questions To Ask Yourself T...May 16th, 2023
PINK’s Signature Spring ...April 23rd, 2023
One Rx For Employee Community ...April 19th, 2023